1969 Sr. Arlene Boyd RSM
1978 Sister Patricia Collins RSM
1981 Sister Karen YeshSMAH
1986 Sister Peggy Ramsden FSCC
1994 The Little Sisters of Jesus became a visible presence by attending and by ministering to those most in need.
1999 The Daughters of Charity began attending and ministering to groups within the parish.
1999 Sr. Donna Kramer DC
1990 and 2000's Sr. Kathleen O'Hara RSM
2005 Sister Kathleen Powers DC
Deacons from St. Anthony's
Deacon Dennis Foreman
Deacon Ted Greene
Deacon Jerry Grewe RIP
Deacon Bob Froehle
in the final year before his ordination
Father Patrick Brosamer served the parish
You will find parish history by clicking the blue links. Not everyone will want to read all of this, that we understand, for those that do we welcome you to a journey that will help you see how our one parish has impacted the growth of the Archdiocese of Anchorage.
Pictured Confirmation, Outreach, Eucharistic Ministry, Choir, Faith Formation and AFACT, Decorating for Christmas, Gift Bearers, Bonnie Cler Pastoral Associate, Food collected for St. Francis House (this was collecting 2000 cans in the year 2000) and the bottom picture is some of St. Anthony parishioners on exchange in Cotabato in the Phillipines.
The statue of St. Theresa was donated in late 1968, by parishioner Theresa James.
Many priests, deacons, sisters and faithful parishioners have been part and parcel of St. Anthony's and through their efforts St. Anthony has grown. So much so that four new parish communities have sprung from St. Anthony's.
St. Andrews serving Eagle River, Chugiak, and Birchwood.
St. Patrick’s serving all those living east of Boniface.
Holy Cross serving those south of Dowling Road.
Most recently, in 2007, the Korean community, nurtured at St. Anthony for some 26 years, now have their own Church, St Andrew Kim along with a parish community of over 150 families, on corner of 72nd and Lake Otis.
All Are Welcome
St. Anthony Parish History ©2018
1959 Father Arnold Custer
1961 Father Joseph Shirey S.J.
1968 Father Cleary
1968 Father Edward J. Sterling C.S.Sp.
1969 Father Bartholomew Egan
1969 Father Francis J. Fish
1970 Father Gerard T. Ryan C.S.Sp.
1972 Father Carl Able and his Wirehaired Terrier become part of St. Anthony's and was followed by Associate Pastor Father Michael Hornick, the first priest ordained for the Archdiocese of Anchorage.
1976 Father Thomas P. Gillissie
1979 Father Michael Shields
1979 Father Charles Crouse
1981 Father Robert Lilly, Maryknoll priest, was with us for 6 months compiling a Korean Directory and assisting in the sacramental preparation of the Korean Community.
1984 Father John Ouper
1987 Father LaSalle Hallissy
1989 Father Alfred J. Fisher .
1989 Father Charles Crouse
1996 Father Fred Bugarin, A week after his appointment, Father Fred was reassigned to Kodiak, possibly holding the distinction of having the shortest tenure as Associate Pastor at St. Anthony’s.
1996, Father Leo Walsh
1999 Father Paul Rajareegram
1999 Father Balaswamy
2001 Father Nelson Marilag
2006 Father Eric Wiseman Parochial Vicar
Parts of 2008 and 2009 we welcomed Father Ben Toritto, on loan from Cotabto, Philippines who along with Father Donation covered St. Anthony so Father Bugarin could take a sabbatical.
2015 Fr. Andrew Bellisario, CM. Parochial Vicar. Father “Andy” would leave us a short six months later to become pastor of Our Lady of Guadalupe and be named Bishop of Juneau in 2017.
Our parish community is celebrating our 60th anniversary in 2017
The first mass was celebrated in St. Anthony Parish on November 17, 1957.
Our 1st pastor was Father Robert Whelan S.J. 1957 - February 1968.
Monsignor Francis A Cowgill became our 2nd pastor February 16th 1968 and served St. Anthony until his death on October 20th, 2000.
Upon Monsignors death Deacon Ted Greene became Pastoral Administrator, &
Father Steven Moore, Vicar General became the canonical pastor of St. Anthony.
Father James Wynne O.M.I. was then appointed pastor and served about a year.
In March 2003 Father Fernando T. Bugarin was assigned as Pastor and served until October 2015.
Our current pastor Father Vincent Blanco came to us in October 2015 and continues to serve us.